Of the 67 hospitals Leapfrog graded in New Jersey, 38 earned an A — 16 more than in the spring.
These include eight of the 11 acute-care hospitals owned by RWJBarnabas Health, including Saint Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston which has earned A’s in all 14 report cards issued since 2012.
“Being named one of only 42 hospitals in the United States to receive 14 consecutive ‘A’ grades demonstrates the commitment and intentional focus on safety and quality by all physicians and employees of Saint Barnabas Medical Center,” said Stephen P. Zieniewicz, the hospital’s president and CEO. “This achievement recognizes the high-quality care we deliver to our patients and their families every day.”
Saint Michael’s Medical Center of Newark improved its standing by two grades — from a C to an A. If there was an award for most-improved hospital, Saint Mike’s would own it. The hospital received a failing grade in the spring of 2016, less than a year after Prime Healthcare rescued it from bankruptcy.
“Under Prime Healthcare’s ownership, Saint Michael’s had the resources needed to achieve an entirely new level of intense focus on patient quality and safety,” Saint Michael’s CEO Robert Iannaccone said. “From the moment Prime Healthcare took ownership of the hospital, patient safety and continuous quality improvement were the top priority.”
The turnaround followed the introduction of a computerized physician order entry system, the hiring of an ICU physician specialist known as an intensivist, and the creation of a Patient Family Advisory Council consisting of patients and community members, the hospital said.
“Our patients recognize Saint Michael’s as ‘their hospital’ and are eager to share their voice in quality and safety initiatives that will result in opportunities for continuous improvement,” Chief Nursing Officer Nancy Bisco-Flora said.
All four Prime Healthcare NJ hospitals — Saint Clare’s in Dover, Saint Clare’s in Denville, Saint Mary’s in Passaic and Saint Michael’s in Newark — earned A’s in the spring survey.
Hospitals that received A’s:
* Atlantic Regional Medical Center, Atlantic City;
* Atlantic Regional Medical Center, Pomona;
* Bayshore Medical Center, Holmdel;
* Capital Health Medical Center – Hopewell;
* CarePoint Health – Bayonne Medical Center;
* Chilton Medical Center, Pompton Plains;
* Clara Maass Medical Center, Belleville;
* Community Medical Center, Toms River;
* Hackensack University Medical Center;
* Inspira Medical Center, Elmer;
* Inspira Medical Center Woodbury;
* Jefferson Cherry Hill Hospital;
* Jefferson Stratford Hospital;
* Jersey City Medical Center;
* Jersey Shore University Medical Center, Neptune;
* JFK Medical Center, Edison;
* Monmouth Medical Center, Long Branch;
* Morristown Medical Center;
* Newark Beth Israel Medical Center;
* Ocean Medical Center, Brick;
* Our Lady of Lourdes Medical Center, Camden;
* Overlook Medical Center, Summit;
* Raritan Bay Medical Center, Perth Amboy;
* Riverview Medical Center, Red Bank;
* Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at Hamilton;
* Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital-Somerset, Somerville;
* Saint Barnabas Medical Center, Livingston;
* St. Clare’s Hospital, Denville;
* St. Clare’s Hospital, Dover;
* St. Michael’s Medical Center, Newark;
* Shore Medical Center, Somers Point;
* Southern Ocean Medical Center, Manahawkin;
* St. Joseph’s University Medical Center, Paterson;
* St. Mary’s General Hospital, Passaic.
* Valley Hospital, Ridgewood;
* University Medical Center of Princeton at Plainsboro;
* Virtua Marlton Hospital;
* Virtua Voorhees Hospital.